Friday, August 17, 2012

I REMEMBER IT WELL.....

I just read a terrific article called Cursed: Yinz and Losses in Pittsburgh. It explains all the loss and heartbreak Pirates fans have endured lo, these past 20 years.  October 14, 1992, oh how I remember it well.....I was at my sister's house. We were waiting for the game to end to call and order World Series tickets. Everyone remembers Sid Bream scoring from second on a single by Francisco Friggin' Cabrera. To this day, I can't stand Tim McCarver because he was broadcasting that game. Plus, any time he's worked a Pirates game since then, the jagoff has the audactiy to continue to twist the knife in Pirates fans' collective backs. But am I the only one that remembers that our gold glove second baseman, Jose Lind, let a ball bounce off of his lead glove in that inning? Or that the homeplate umpire continued to call balls on pitches that Stan Belinda threw for strikes? How about that fact that we had MVP Barry Bonds in left field? He couldn't throw Sid out with Sid's bad wheels?! My grandmother could have nailed Sid at the plate for crying out loud! Which leads me to the fact that I think it was all a conspiracy. Remember, Mr. Moneybags, Ted Turner, owned the Braves then. Who's to say there weren't some envelopes with thank-you gifts in them for some of these perpetrators after the game? And to make matters worse, this season the Braves had a bobblehead commemorating the infamouse slide. Ugh! I think it's time to bury (or Barry) this curse once and for all. We're 65-53 with 44 games to go. Oh, how I want to make it to the postseason so I can finally purchase those World Series tickets. I'd settle for just getting this monkey off our backs. Let's Go Bucs!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment