Monday, May 13, 2013

BLUES N'AT

Recently, a DJ took pity on me and sent me a free copy of Michael "Iron Man" Burks' last CD, "Show of Strength"(thank you Jon Norton from WGLT). I had incorrectly called in to win another CD, not realizing the show was pre-recorded. The DJ asked me what type of blues I like and I told him that I liked a blues/rock mix. He told me that he'd send me the Michael Burks CD and how it was his final CD as he passed away last May. Almost a year to the day of his passing, the Iron Man posthumously won the Album of the Year Award at the 2013 Blues Music Awards in Memphis. It's plain to see when you give this album a listen as to why it is Album of the Year. I'd never heard of Michael Burks prior to this. When the CD came in the mail, I eagerly opened the package like a kid at Christmas. Boy, it did not disappoint. Iron Man does, indeed, show his strength on this CD with his fabulous fretwork, evoking images of Clapton and the Allman Brothers. Don't get me wrong, though. This album is pure Iron Man, through and through. His guitar skill set is a slow-burn kind of blues with the ability to amp it up at will. Stand out tracks include the opener, "Count on You", "Storm Warning", "Little Juke Joint" and "24 Hour Blues". The closer, "Feel Like Going Home" is appropriate considering Iron Man's passing. He left us oh so young, at 54. I can't help but wonder if making this song the closer was intentional or coincidental. It serves as a reminder to what might have been for Michael. Get "Show of Strength" and listen for your self why it was Album of the Year. RIP Michael "Iron Man" Burks.

No comments:

Post a Comment