Friday, October 18, 2013

BLUES N'AT

I recently won a batch of blues CD's in a contest. Among them was the latest offering from Kelly Richey, Sweet Spirit. I must admit, I wasn't familiar with Kelly's music and looked forward to giving it a listen. I liked it so much, it turned into several listens. Her raspy vocals are reminiscent of Susan Tedeschi and Bonnie Raitt. Her all-out assault on the guitar reminds me of no other. The CD opens with the hard driving Feelin' Under. Let the riff-fest begin! Next up is I Went Down Easy. It puts me in the mind of the Door's Been Down So Long. Leavin' It All Behind continues the blues/hard rock cocktail that is this CD. Next up is Something's Going On. Something, indeed. More riffs than you can shake a guitar pick at. Everybody Needs a Change slows things down a bit and gives you a chance to catch your breath with this change of pace. Fast Drivin' Mama cranks things back up again. This is one of my favorites on this CD and seems like one of the more radio-friendly. And what does the "Fast Drivin' Mama" do next? One Way Ticket keeps the blues/rock party going. Risin' Sun slows things down but keeps the train rolling. Dyin' is a slow blues burner to melt your ears. The closing track is another favorite, Hard Workin' Woman. Kelly Richey is a force with guitar chops to burn. If you like riffing good blues/rock, Kelly Richey's Sweet Spirit is a sweet CD for you.









No comments:

Post a Comment